My friend Cara shared this article a few days ago on Facebook. Just reading the title sent me back into nostalgia. Almost every summer, from fourth grade through college, and a few as an adult, I was at some sort of church camp!
Here’s the link to the original post:
I wish I had more photos to share!
Since a lot of my church camp experiences happened before I entered the world of Facebook, a lot of them are in traditional photo albums at my parents’ house, etc.
However, I did manage to find a few!
Bandannas – Need I say more?
- I’m not wearing bandannas in these photos, but for years, I did! They were fashion accessories – The girls traded them back and forth! We also went to the Dollar Tree before the trip to find new colors!
You probably dressed up in some interesting outfits.
- Maybe? I remember the staff at Carolina Cross Connection (CCC) many a summer decked out in costumes, overalls, tights, tutus, and more!
Camp games were the best games!
- Absolutely! I learned to play nine square at the camp in Florida with Daniel, Aime, and Loren (and quickly realized how competitive it was!)
- At CCC, the icebreaker games were hilarious! Every summer was different, and it was great watching the adults!
Everyone had a camp crush they will always remember!
- Oh, yes – No names mentioned here, but this was a definite.
- I do know several people who met their true loves at CCC. Matt and Alex got married at a CCC camp!
You made friends that will last a lifetime.
- Yes – I still have letters, cards, and photos from camp friends!
- A lot of us have kept in touch through Facebook now.
You master taking 5 minute or less showers!
- This is so true – Although the cooler water felt amazing after long days in the sun!
- It was really hard to juggle everything carefully – Shower caddies would have been an amazing investment back then!
- Most camps do this, but I highly recommend wearing Old Navy-style flip-flops or some type of sandal that can get wet in the shower! Camp showers are NOTHING like your bathroom at home.
You were a master at coming up with skits and chants for your team!
- I certainly tried. I enjoyed the group effort!
- I definitely didn’t have much of a voice when I came home.
Every worship song seems to be 10 times better at camp!
- This is probably the most true statement of them all!
- CCC camps usually have some sort of “hill” or “mountain” on the property, and those experiences were always amazing!
- I’ll always remember the girls on CCC staff standing on chairs to hold the handwritten song lyrics, with a lot of us holding flashlights!
You had a crush on someone in the band.
- For me, this wasn’t necessarily summer camp, but mainly the Blackstone retreats!
- I still have a few of my shirts signed by all the band members!
You always packed way more than you needed.
- I was one of those people who followed the list of items to the letter!
- It was so much fun packing for the trip, but such a drag packing to go home! Nothing seemed to fit properly.
- Sometimes, I borrowed the big black garbage bags for my dirty laundry – Yuck!
You can try to tell someone about camp but no one else will understand.
- Exactly! I wore my camp shirts to school a lot, and I enjoyed telling my friends when they asked.
You start your countdown for camp next year the day you leave.
- This was especially true in high school, since I went to CCC nearly every summer!
- I also did this in 2011 and 2013, because I knew I was going to be taking a whole week off work to go to CCC in 2012 and 2014! I felt very adult then, haha.
Did you go to church camp?
What were some of your favorite memories?
Until the next headline, Laura Beth 🙂